Where are offline updates located?

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

Where are offline updates located?

Postby frankinbahia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:30 pm

The EVP User's Guide for FS2004 states the following: "If your Flight Simulator system is not connected to the Internet you can visit the EditVoicepack homepage to download an offline update package"
But the editvoicepack.com home page doesn't contain any link to (or even mention of) the offline update.
I'd appreciate some direction . . . thanks!
frankinbahia
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 am

I stopped doing FS2004 updates when FSX was released. If you downloaded EditVoicepack 3.1 from the www.editvoicepack.com website, it includes the latest updates.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby airodyssey » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi Lars. I tried downloading EditVoicePack 3.1 from editvoicepack.com and although the files contained in the ZIP file are dated of 2011, it's still an old, non-updated version that is is installed on my computer. It doesn't contain the updates I remember submitting to EditVoicePack several years ago (around 2006-2007).

I tried installing the version from FlightSim.com, then realized online updates were no longer available. I uninstalled it, downloaded the version from editvoicepack.com, installed it and realized it was the exact same content.

Is there any other way of getting the latest version before you stopped doing updates?

Sergio
airodyssey
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Trying to answer this question I realized that the point where I simply can't remember how EditVoicepack 3.1 works have been reached.

It probably stores it's data in an XML file somewhere (maybe directly in Program Files, I didn't know any better back then), and maybe it preserves this file even if you install the newer version.

Try:
1) Export any custom modifications you want to keep (better also create a backup of your data file just in case, there is a menu entry allowing you to do that, even if I do not remember where the file is stored).
2) Uninstall EVP.
3) Search the program folder for EditVoicepack related files - delete them if present
4) Install EVP again (the one you downloaded from editvoicepack.com).
5) Import any custom modifications created in step 1.

Notice this is just a guess - as I mention I do not remember anymore.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby airodyssey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:38 am

Hi Lars. You were right, the XML file was located in the directory c:\program files (x86)\Bevelstone Production
However, doing an uninstall removes everything from that directory.
So I reinstalled again the version downloaded from EditVoicePack and it's still an old update.
Any chance I could get the XML file manually for this time? I think that's all i need, no?
airodyssey
Ny Bruger

Postby johnhinson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Hello,

I have a number of people asking about the former automatic updates updates for the FS2004 version, and there is currently some discussion going on at AVSIM.

It seems that those who have downloaded and installed EVP after the manual and automatic update files were removed from the server no longer have the means of accessing this and are now bereft of many callsigns that longer-term users like myself are lucky enough to have.

May I ask if there would be any objection to my exporting these and making them available to others? I don't want to tread on any toes by doing so without permission.

John Hinson
(a provider of many of those updates all those years ago)
johnhinson
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:34 am

I was 100% certain EditVoicepack contained the last updates. I have no clue how that can't be the case.

I have moved house, source control system, hosting (location, as well as platform) so there is nothing I can do on a short notice unfortunately. I do not even know where the disk containing the old website is right now.

Even when I do find the disk there is nothing I can do without a lot of investigation work. And realistically I just have too many other projects to spend a lot of time on a 9 year old simulator. So even if it is probably technically possible for me to get updates running again it's naive of me to think it is going to happen.

If I had known the latest updates where not included a few months ago I could have done something. Now it is too late. :(

So feel free to distribute the callsigns, or the entire backup file if you want.

:lol: There is also something new and fancy called FSX, you guys should check it out instead of trying to keep 9 year old software working - it's like an old car, you will just run into more and more of these issues. :lol:
Lars
FSOnline

Postby johnhinson » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:44 am

Lars wrote:I was 100% certain EditVoicepack contained the last updates. I have no clue how that can't be the case.

I have moved house, source control system, hosting (location, as well as platform) so there is nothing I can do on a short notice unfortunately. I do not even know where the disk containing the old website is right now.

Even when I do find the disk there is nothing I can do without a lot of investigation work. And realistically I just have too many other projects to spend a lot of time on a 9 year old simulator. So even if it is probably technically possible for me to get updates running again it's naive of me to think it is going to happen.

If I had known the latest updates where not included a few months ago I could have done something. Now it is too late. :(

So feel free to distribute the callsigns, or the entire backup file if you want.

:lol: There is also something new and fancy called FSX, you guys should check it out instead of trying to keep 9 year old software working - it's like an old car, you will just run into more and more of these issues. :lol:

Thanks Lars, appreciated.

I'm happy to do it this way as I didn't want to impose any additional work on yourself. I was already aware your focus is on FSX.

Yes indeed, I've "heard of" FSX and of course you are right but I am an ancient old horse now and don't really have the inclination to start afresh . . .

Kindest regards,

John
johnhinson
Ny Bruger

Return to EditVoicepack Support