Missing alphabet calling on tail number

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

Missing alphabet calling on tail number

Postby heartbreak61 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi! Thanks for this awesome program

I got a little problem which cause the engine not to spell my tail number correctly. This problem is not always occur, and I think it's a kind of random.

Let's say I register PK-61 as a tail number on default boeing 747-400, sometimes both my pilot and ATC say it as Boeing-61 instead of Papa Kilo 61. Is there any mistake I made on the installation?
Thanks!
heartbreak61
Ny Bruger

Re: Missing alphabet calling on tail number

Postby Lars » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:31 pm

From memory, I would expect the following combinations to be used when referring to the aircraft:

Telephony + Flight number
Registration number (long or short version)
Aircraft manufacturer + type.

I do not recall Aircraft Manufacture + registration number being used, but then - my memory for these kinds of things is pretty much non-existent. :)

If you can give a specific example (so the text taken from a screenshot of the ATC window) I can have a look in the data to see how FS builds up the sentence.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby heartbreak61 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:09 pm

It's just appeared randomly. But once I got it, it will stay like that until I end my flight.

Well, it's not really a big deal tho. The most important thing is that, now, the ATC speaks much faster lol.

Anyway, I'll let you know once I got the screenshot. Thanks
heartbreak61
Ny Bruger

Postby heartbreak61 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:34 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hwggctriuye7 ... _00003.jpg

Here you go. Although I don't know if it's because I'm messing up with the airsign call or something, lol
heartbreak61
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Nope, not your fault. Just ATC falling back to abbreviated call signs.

http://www.icao.int/MID/Documents/2015/ ... uction.pdf page 17:

Full call signs An aircraft radiotelephony call sign shall be one of the following types:
Type a) the characters corresponding to the registration marking of the aircraft; or
Type b) the telephony designator of the aircraft operating agency, followed by the last four characters of the registration marking of the aircraft;
Type c) the telephony designator of the aircraft operating agency, followed by the flight identification.
Note 1.—The name of the aircraft manufacturer or of the aircraft model may be used as a radiotelephony prefix to the Type a) call sign (see Table 5-1)

So Boeing OK-747G is a type a) full call sign using the type as outlined in note 1 (there are a few other notes, but they are not relevant here)

On page 19 on the same document you will find the abbreviated formats:
The aircraft radiotelephony call signs, with the exception of Type c), may be abbreviated in the circumstances prescribed in Abbreviated call signs shall be in the following form:
Type a) the first character of the registration and at least the last two characters of the call sign;
Type b) the telephony designator of the aircraft operating agency, followed by at least the last two characters of the call sign;
Type c) no abbreviated form.
Note.—Either the name of the aircraft manufacturer or of the aircraft model may be used in place of the first character in Type a).

So Boeing 47G is a type A abbreviated call sign, with the manufacturer replacing the first letter and the last three characters of the registration number.
Lars
FSOnline

Return to EditVoicepack Support