Users Manual for EditVoicepak XL?

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

Users Manual for EditVoicepak XL?

Postby mikewmac » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm a longtime and happy user of the original EditVoicepak up to and including v3.1 in FS9 and so far I can't figure out how to do some of the things for FSX that I can quickly and easily achieve for FS9.

For example, when I was creating a number of callsigns for the same USAF squadron in FS9, I could create several copies of the first callsign that I created by right clicking and then left clicking on the copy function the appropriate number of times, open the redundant copies so created one by one, delete the identifier and sounds and then create the new identifier and sounds for the new callsign. This eliminated the tedious process of entering all the descriptive information multiple times.

In EditVoicepak XL v5.3.1 the copy function when right clicking on a callsign is not functional. I thought when I bought the license key today that the functions that appear when right clicking on a callsign, aircraft name, airport name, etc would be functional, but they aren't. Either I do not have full functionality, which the application says I have; I have done or am doing something wrong; there is another way of doing this or this approach is no longer useable.

Is there a Users Manual for EditVoicepak XL so I can solve this problem myself and learn more about the functions in this wonderful application?

If not, any guidance that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
mikewmac
Ny Bruger

Re: Users Manual for EditVoicepak XL?

Postby Lars » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Hmm, strange indeed - I wonder when they stopped working. hmm, and why is "Cut" in the menu, that is never going to make sense,, I'll have a look when I find a few hours (which is probably not this week, but I can always hope).

There is a workaround you can use in the meantime though - each time you import a modification you get a copy. So export your "template", then you can simply import it each time you want to create a new callsign. EditVoicepack will remember the folder you import from, so it should be quite fast - almost as fast as copy paste. :)

There are a few tutorials on using EditVoicepack here:
http://editvoicepack.com/tutorials/

If you have suggestions for other topics, please let me know. I am already aware I need a tutorial for creating phraseology modifications - but this is the most advanced topic in EditVoicepack, so it will take me some time.

I used to have a users guide that listed ever single button and menu entry back in EditVoicepack 3, but it generated a lot of support questions - so I prefer to spend the time I do have available to improve the documentation on creating more tutorials.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby mikewmac » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks Lars,

That workaround works great, so I am a happy camper. :D

I have another question: What is the "Replace existing" box and the little counter in the upper right hand corner for? :?:
mikewmac
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:51 pm

When you create a modification in EditVoicepack, the default behavior is to add it next to the existing entries.

So if you for example make an aircraft type A320 where it is spoken A-3-2-0 it would be added next to the existing A-3-20 variant. It would then be random if you hear one or the other. If replace exiting is checked, it will replace the existing recording in FSX so it is no longer available. So in the example above, if you had Replace Existing selected, you would only hear A-3-2-0, and never A-320.

FS allows up to 15 variants, but only a few have them (the B773 is one of the few examples - ATC might say 7-7-7 or "triple seven". The integer next to Replace existing is used to determine which of these should be replaced. So if you for example never wants ATC to say 7-7-7, you can create a new modification for B773 which says "Triple seven", then set Replace existing and the integer to 0.

Yes, the UI for this is way too complex, it should simply let you chose the entry you want to replace without asking for integer values and other technicalities that are based on the internal data structure, not on the way the data is seen form the user's point of view. Unfortunately it is on the long list of things I should do if I had infinite time. :)
Lars
FSOnline

Return to EditVoicepack Support