Perplexing phenomena

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

Perplexing phenomena

Postby ejy1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:04 am

Greetings,

I am a new user of this forum and a new user to this version of EVP. My query is why do I hear some flights with full taxi instructions right from the gate to the holding point of the active runway with subsequent take off and after take off instructions and then other airliners following..nothing? It is very perplexing. I was wondering if am I doing something wrong or the software not picking up on something within FSX? Just curious..

Cheers,

John
ejy1
Ny Bruger

Re: Perplexing phenomena

Postby Lars » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:47 am

Hi John,

Two reasons I can think off from the top of my head:
  • Large airports with multiple ground/tower frequencies. I would expect aircrafts using the same runway to depart would all be on the same frequency, but maybe it is possible to mess that up in the AFCADs.
  • A broken GVP file in the SOUND\ATC folder, and some aircrafts get a voice assigned that is in the broken file. I would still expect to hear ATC though. You can try restoring the original GVP file using this procedure:
    http://editvoicepack.com/support/restor ... ice-files/
    then check if the problem is still present before running EditVoicepack again.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby ejy1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:21 pm

HI Lars,

Thank you for your quick response. With respect to your possible solution (fixing a broken GVP file) I forgot to mention that I am running FSX SE so I don't have access to a physical disk to restore the original GVP file. I am also running UT2 as my AI.

John
ejy1
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:20 pm

Yes, it is somewhat annoying there is no way to get the original file without restoring all the files in your Flight Simulator installation. :(

I am planning to make EditVoicepack always create a backup file, unfortunately I am pretty much snowed under now - and there isn't really any sign I will have breathing room for the next few months. Next to this I am looking into completely overhauling how EditVoicepack update the GVP files, so probably the change will have to wait until then.

But please do check if you have more than one GVP file in the sound\atc folder.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby ejy1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi Lars,
I have found two .gvp files in the Sound folder; EvpAccelerated1.gvp and in the ASOS subfolder: USEnglishASOS.gvp.

John
ejy1
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:10 pm

Sorry for being a bit slow getting back to you... crazy days at work... and at home :)

The ASOS folder should be fine, no need to touch the file in there.

I recommend following the procedure already mentioned (http://editvoicepack.com/support/restor ... ice-files/). I PM'ed you an alternative way to get the GVP file instead of getting it from an FSX DVD.

If the error persist after following this procedure, the problem is not directly related to EditVoicepack. If the error is gone, please try running EditVoicepack again so we can find out if the problem comes back.

Regards
Lars
Lars
FSOnline

Postby ejy1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks Lars,

I really screwed my pc up by not following your advice and have to start from scratch. (Reinstall of all of my FX stuff including EVP). I will keep you posted as I work through the reinstalls.

Cheers,

John
ejy1
Ny Bruger

Return to EditVoicepack Support