Editvoicepack ATC window translation

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

Editvoicepack ATC window translation

Postby FlusiQuax » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:58 pm

I did a trial installation of EditVoicePack on my FSX rig and got mixed messages in the ATC window (german with english words).
So I removed EditVoicePack trial from my system.

The installer mentioned something about translation and i found another topic http://fsonline.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=432&hilit=translate#p2975 about changing spanish phrases.

I found more complaints about mixed ATC language but no real solution.
Then I read http://editvoicepack.com/tutorials/creating-an-atc-modification/.
But it states "Due to limitations in the flight simulator, only standard English characters and numbers should be used."

Now my questions regarding the mixed english-german text in the ATC window:
Can I translate the english ATC-window words to german ?
What means "only standard English characters..." ? Just for the spoken text ? Or also for the "Phrase" itself ?

Thanks in advance, FlusiQuax
FlusiQuax
Ny Bruger

Re: Editvoicepack ATC window translation

Postby Lars » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Support for translated versions of Flight Simulator was "somewhat" introduced in version 5.3.1. What this means is EditVoicepack can now store phrases in multiple languages, and apply the correct string based on the language of Flight Simulator being used.

The problem is the translations - I simply do not speak German, French, and Spanish - so I can't write the translated text.

This gives 3 possibilities I can think of:
1) Professional translation.
Giving the technical requirements for the translation (it's not simple sentences) this is somewhat expensive compared to the revenue generated from EditVoicepack.
2) Crowd Sourcing.
I already attempted to build this into Evp, and did get the first string translated. :) But it has some problems: a) It is not visible enough, b) Not enough users run EditVoicepack often enough with translated Flight Simulators (many users only run it once). I can fix a), but due to b) I am not convinced it is the best use of my time at this moment - spending time here would delay another important feature.
3) Someone volunteers to translate the phrases.
Not exactly a fun task, and it is limited what I can pay (a free license of Evp for sure, but that is pretty much it).

The mentioned limitation is for the phrase field - so what is written in the ATC dialog. As Flight Simulator is somewhat dated :) it use a problematic way to handle text. So if for example ö is used in the phrase, a Japanese system would not be able to display it. As the English version is used throughout the world, it has to be restricted to text that all systems can display - which means the ASCII character set.

The same limitation does not apply to the translated phrases. Microsoft made the (reasonable) assumption that the German version would only be used on a system running the default German code page (which determines how old applications like Flight Simulator displays text). So the German phrase can contain the typical German characters.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby FlusiQuax » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:58 pm

Ehm...to precise my question after I have read your detailed answer:

Is this possible with the installed tools ?
Or are the new english words hardcoded somewhere and have to be changed with much effort by hex editing ?
Or is it impossible for me as an "end-user" of EditVoicePack to do my personal translation ?

What I like to do: start some translation with the trial version, then buy a license, then translating over the time the english words to german - just for myself...

If this would be successful, I wouldn't have any problem to share the translation with a community or something, but first, I have to know how I could do this thing on my own rig.
FlusiQuax
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:20 pm

There is no support for this in the EditVoicepack UI. When I added support for multiple languages I did look into it, but it would require some redesign of the data structures, so it was more work than expected - meaning my cost/benefit estimate for adding it came out less favorable than the feature I am currently working on. Add a long forced break from EditVoicepack due to health reasons, and this is not something I will support anytime soon.

If you want to try editing the EditVoicepack data file it is important you understand that EditVoicepack will overwrite your data if an update is made to the modification you translated. This includes someone providing for example a French translation. On top of this - while unlikely if you are careful - it is possible to corrupt the file so future updates received from the EditVoicepack server will not work.

If you run into problems, I can't promise to help you restore the file. You will probably have to delete the file (basically reverting to EditVoicepack default data).

That said, if you want to poke around, the file is:
"C:\ProgramData\EditVoicepackX\EditVoicepackData.xml.gzip"

As the extensions shows, editing it with a hex editor would probably be somewhat challenging, but if you un-gzip it you can simply edit it with a text editor. It is 30mb, so not all editors will like it. At least on Windows 10, notepad will work just fine.
Lars
FSOnline

Return to EditVoicepack Support