replace existing ATC phrases using EVP 3.1

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

replace existing ATC phrases using EVP 3.1

Postby cj241101 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:54 am

Hi, sorry to ask what is probably a basic question but I can't find any answer searching the forum.

EVP XL has the option of "replacing existing" when creating a custom modification. I can't see the same in EVP 3.1 i.e. for FS2004. What I want to do is change some ATC phraseology - although I have selected the ICAO phraseology already there are still phrases that I would like to change. Firstly the "left closed traffic" I would like to replace with "left hand circuit" (valid for UK ATC at least), Can I do this in EVP 3.1?
cj241101
Ny Bruger

Re: replace existing ATC phrases using EVP 3.1

Postby Lars » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 pm

The checkbox was labelled "Force Variation" in EditVoicepack 3.1. It is the same checkbox with the same functionality.

"Replace Existing" is why you want to do it, "Force Variation" is how it is technically done. But as no one need to know the technical details, I renamed it. I am still not happy with the name, but have not been able to find anything significantly better. :)
Lars
FSOnline

Postby cj241101 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi Lars, thanks for the prompt reply. What I am getting confused about is that there is no phrase "closed traffic" listed in the standard modifications. So although I've created "hand circuit" to replace "closed traffic" and checked the force variation box, I am still hearing "cleared left closed traffic" when flying circuits. "Closed traffic" does get replaced by "touch and go" quite often. Where does the "closed traffic" voice file reside and how do I delete it, having made a mod to replace it?

cj231101
cj241101
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:02 am

There are a few things to notice here.
1) You can't simply create a new phraseology mod and expect FS to use it. You must ALWAYS start by replacing an existing phraseology using an identical identifier. So the first step is always to identify how FS says a specific phrase, then create the mod.
2) FS ATC does per default use "touch and go", it does not use "closed traffic". So there must be a phrase mod loaded in EditVoicepack that add "closed traffic" as a variation to "touch and go".
3) I do not really understand why you would replace "closed traffic" with "hand circuit? "Closed" or "touch and go" indicate the action of landing and then taking off immediately - replacing this with "hand" would loose this. I suspect "hand" really should be inserted somewhere else. Unfortunately I do not have the time right now to find the place - or more accurately -the time I have is spend adding a new feature to EditVoicepack XL. :)
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Lars » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:06 am

I just realized I could use EditVoicepack XL to search for this in a few seconds instead of spending minutes in Evp3.1 (was the phrase filter always this slow to adjust when typing in the first letters, I recall it being faster - but then it is many years since I used 3.1). :)

Search for "direction_lr_pattern" in the "prase filter" - then you will see where "left" and "right" is inserted. You can then add "hand" to these entries to make it "left hand" or "right hand". You can also try simply adding "hand" to the "left" and "right" phrases, but I do not know if they are used somewhere else!
Lars
FSOnline

Postby cj241101 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:54 pm

Lars, I appreciate the time you have spent trying to help me and I know EVP 3.1 is probably not in use as much now. What I am struggling with is exactly how I can replace an existing phrase which, although it (direction_lr_pattern) appears as you say in the phrase filter box, does not show in under the standard modifications tree display. The error box comes up with "forcing override of non-existing variation". Am I missing something somewhere or just being stupid? (or both).

The reason I am trying to change "cleared left closed traffic" with "cleared left hand circuit" is because this is the term used in the UK if not elsewhere in Europe. At the moment I am undertaking a MASSIVE project trying to recreate vintage AI traffic at my local airport (London Luton - LTN - EGGW) and a few others (Jersey is next on the list), a bit like the CalClassic AI traffic except on a very much smaller scale. I plan eventually to have AI traffic from 1967 to at least 1980 which is going to take an awful lot of work and research). This is using FS2004 rather than FSX, mainly because I can use some of the existing CalClassic AI aircraft (after repainting) which most likely won't work in FSX. I have already done most of airline fleets from LTN 1967-1970 (Autair/Court Line, Britannia, Monarch, Midland) plus the last few days I have been doing the local flying club aircraft. Hence my desire to hear them flying "left hand circuits" rather than "left closed traffic".
cj241101
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:20 pm

You replace an existing phrase this way:
1) Locate the existing phrase. Use the Phrase filter to find it.
2) Look in the Identifier column under the phrase filter. It will have the Identifier and optionally an integer in brackets. For example: ENTRY_BASE (1)
3) You must use the identifier (without the number in bracket) as the identifier for you new modification. So in this case, your identifier must be ENTRY_BASE
4) Set the "Force variation" checkbox and set it to the number in brackets (in this case 1). If there is no number in brackets, set it to 0

If you do not set Force Variation your mod will be added to the existing modifictions and ATC will chose randomly if it use your modification or the existing phrase.
Lars
FSOnline

Return to EditVoicepack Support