PanAm vs. Pan Am

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

PanAm vs. Pan Am

Postby triflyman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:51 am

New user here. Trying to set up airline call sign "PanAm". Put it in my "Airline Call Sign" drop down menu and then set it up in EditVoicepack. Went to the aircraft but only got the flight number...no "PanAm". I then went poking around and found a "Pan Am" (with the space) in the Airline Call Sign menu so chose that. Worked perfectly.

So, I'm just questioning why...for future use. If I want NorthWest Airlines do I put in "NorthWest" or "North West", etc?

Thanks,
triflyman
Ny Bruger

Re: PanAm vs. Pan Am

Postby Lars » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:38 am

There is no simple rule to follow, you have to check in each case.

Microsoft decided to use the callsign - not the airline name - as the value you need to enter. I can't say why as I forgot to ask Jason Dent the few months we where working together. :)

They did get a few wrong (speed bird vs speedbird, air france vs airfrans for example), as ICAO does not seem to have any rule in this area.

Unfortunately it is hard to get a good authoritative source for the callsigns. There is an ICAO document which is the source, but it is not freely available. I have a copy of an old version, bit nothing up to date. Googling callsogns typically finds some results, but often they are inconsistent on spacing. In this case I try to determine which spacing is used the most and follow that, but of course this gives a rather inconsistent result.

If am considering how to improve EditVoicepack so it can simply correct any issues you have with spaces in the callsigns, but o have not found a solution I am happy with so far - so for now all it can do is identify where you have a problem - and only in the advanced user interface. :(
Lars
FSOnline

Re: PanAm vs. Pan Am

Postby triflyman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks Lars. After I posted last night I did also set up my L049 for BOAC and found the Speed Bird issue also...have not tried Air France yet. That's fine, I now know I just have to try different ways to see what works...no problem.

Appreciate the prompt reply.
triflyman
Ny Bruger

Return to EditVoicepack Support