Unable to import modifications

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

Unable to import modifications

Postby Christopher Low » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 pm

I have just upgraded from EditVoicePack X to the new XL, and I tried updating the phraseology/callsigns etc. with my existing modified USEnglishBig.gvp file. That resulted in an error (something to do with data length being too long), so I tried to do this with the original USEnglishBig.gvp file for P3D, and it worked. However, I am unable to import .vcpmod files for additional callsigns. I keep getting errors to do with missing sound sets, wrong file lengths etc. Can someone please help?

I wanted to import the modified version of the USEnglishBig.gvp file into XL because I added lots of new callsigns when using FSX. I would prefer not to have to start adding everything all over again.
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Re: Unable to import modifications

Postby Christopher Low » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm

I have since managed to get my modified USEnglishBig.gvp file updated in EditVoicePack XL, but only with the readback speed set to DEFAULT. I prefer to use INCREASED speed, but I get an error if I try that. However, I am still unable to add .vcpmod callsigns with XL, so I need to know how to resolve this issue.

On a side note, how do I access the "community modifications", or are these added automatically when I update?
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 am

Sorry for the late replay.

What is the exact errors you get? "Something with data length being too long" is not enough for me to identify the problem. There is a button on the error screen allowing you to copy the details into the clipboard so you can post it here - or send it by email.

Is it the same error you get when trying to import callsigns as you get when trying to increase the speed? Or two different errors? If the errors are different, please post both.

Community Modifications are maintained automatically from my server. EditVoicepack XL will update this branch when you start it.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby lawlegge » Sat May 13, 2017 6:24 pm

"Something with data length being too long"

This may be referring to the windows 256 character limit in the folder/file tree. The total character count for any given string of drives, folders and files is limited to 256 characters.
If your 'USEnglishBig.gvp' file resides in too many folders ie; folder_aaa/folder_bbb/ folder_ccc/folder_etc.../folder_etc.../USEnglishBig.gvp
then the combined 'folder tree' characters used may exceed 256 - giving the error.

A simple test would be - copy and paste your 'USEnglishBig.gvp' to your desktop, thus shortening your folder/file tree to ie; C:\Users\*your_username*\desktop\USEnglishBig.gvp
well within the 256 character limit (in fact 45 characters for this example)

Try importing it from there...
lawlegge
Ny Bruger

Return to EditVoicepack Support