Unable to import modifications

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

Unable to import modifications

Postby Christopher Low » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:23 pm

I have just upgraded from EditVoicePack X to the new XL, and I tried updating the phraseology/callsigns etc. with my existing modified USEnglishBig.gvp file. That resulted in an error (something to do with data length being too long), so I tried to do this with the original USEnglishBig.gvp file for P3D, and it worked. However, I am unable to import .vcpmod files for additional callsigns. I keep getting errors to do with missing sound sets, wrong file lengths etc. Can someone please help?

I wanted to import the modified version of the USEnglishBig.gvp file into XL because I added lots of new callsigns when using FSX. I would prefer not to have to start adding everything all over again.
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Re: Unable to import modifications

Postby Christopher Low » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:12 pm

I have since managed to get my modified USEnglishBig.gvp file updated in EditVoicePack XL, but only with the readback speed set to DEFAULT. I prefer to use INCREASED speed, but I get an error if I try that. However, I am still unable to add .vcpmod callsigns with XL, so I need to know how to resolve this issue.

On a side note, how do I access the "community modifications", or are these added automatically when I update?
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:08 am

Sorry for the late replay.

What is the exact errors you get? "Something with data length being too long" is not enough for me to identify the problem. There is a button on the error screen allowing you to copy the details into the clipboard so you can post it here - or send it by email.

Is it the same error you get when trying to import callsigns as you get when trying to increase the speed? Or two different errors? If the errors are different, please post both.

Community Modifications are maintained automatically from my server. EditVoicepack XL will update this branch when you start it.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby lawlegge » Sat May 13, 2017 6:24 pm

"Something with data length being too long"

This may be referring to the windows 256 character limit in the folder/file tree. The total character count for any given string of drives, folders and files is limited to 256 characters.
If your 'USEnglishBig.gvp' file resides in too many folders ie; folder_aaa/folder_bbb/ folder_ccc/folder_etc.../folder_etc.../USEnglishBig.gvp
then the combined 'folder tree' characters used may exceed 256 - giving the error.

A simple test would be - copy and paste your 'USEnglishBig.gvp' to your desktop, thus shortening your folder/file tree to ie; C:\Users\*your_username*\desktop\USEnglishBig.gvp
well within the 256 character limit (in fact 45 characters for this example)

Try importing it from there...
lawlegge
Ny Bruger

Postby Christopher Low » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Sorry for waking up an old thread, but I am having no luck whatsoever importing .vcpmod files into EditVoicePack X (5.5.11). I keep getting "a sound segment is incompatible with this version of Flight Simulator" errors (P3D v3.3.5). Can anyone tell me if there is a database anywhere of updated .evpmod versions of callsign sound files? I don't understand why I am having so many problems with this when I have been told that most .vcpmod files are compatible with EditVoicePack X.....
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Please email a couple of the files to support@editvoicepack.com, then i'll have a look.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Christopher Low » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Email sent.

Can you tell me which file is being scanned when EditVoicePack X loads? I was under the impression that it was the .gvp file in the ATC/sounds folder, but if I swap the EVP X 5.5.11 updated version with an older P3D version, the designators appear to be the same when I switch to the Advanced User Interface. For examp,le, I do not appear to have callsigns for Egypt Air or Enter Air. Can you tell me if these should have been added by the update? I would have thought that they would have been done by someone....
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Postby Christopher Low » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:30 pm

Well, it seems that the "TOMSON" callsign is also missing from the updated file....and that is a basic one that I have had for ages in my existing file. I am not really sure what is going on here....
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:46 am

I have been able to import the VCP mod files you send into EditVoicepack XL 5.5.11, which would indicate a problem with the GVP file on your system.

Please click the support button on the EditVoicepack main menu, then select upload to support. This will upload all key flight simulator files from your system to my server so I can see what is going on instead of guessing.

Yes, EditVoicepack always scan the USEnglishBig.gvp file (or the backup file EditVoicepack makes). It will tryto skip any changes done by EditVoicepack (this or earlier versions) if present as the old versions did update the files "in place", but if this go wrong it is not something I'll spend time investigating as a simple revert of the file to the original FSX/P3D content will fix the problem.

Tomson, Egypt Air, and Enter Air are not in the callsigns included with EditVoicepack - probably a custom import?

If you update from EditVoicepackX to EditVoicepackXL I expect it to simply keep loading your old data files. But this require you upgrade EditVoicepack. If you uninstall the old version and then install the new, then the data file is probably lost.

I know this is not an ideal way it is working, unfortunately I do not think I'll find time to improve this area in the foreseeable future. :(
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Christopher Low » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:44 pm

I tried restoring the original .gvp file, updating via EditVoicePack XL, and then attempting to import the new .vcpmod files.....but this resulted in exactly the same error. I hope that you can identify (and resolve) the issue by looking at my files, because I am not really sure what else to do (short of reinstalling the entire simulator from scratch).
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:23 pm

You almost sound like reinstalling your flight simulator isn't something you enjoy doing. :lol:

I am not sure how it happened, but there is something dodgy in the file
C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Sound\ATC\USEnglishBig.EvpOrg

Simply reinstalling your flight simulator from scratch will restore the correct file. :twisted:

Just kidding, I'll email you an alternative way of restoring it.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Christopher Low » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for the help, Lars. Hopefully, I will now be able to expand the range of callsigns that I have, and maybe even hear default ones that could have been corrupted in the old file.
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Postby Christopher Low » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:12 am

It looks like I am in business now, and I have been adding as many missing callsigns as possible to the database! However, does anyone know if EditVoicePack XL compatible callsigns are available for the following...

Air X Charter (LEGEND)
Bright Flight (?)
CargoLogicAir (FIREBIRD)
Executive Charter (?)
Fly Wales (POYNTON)
Medview Airline (MEDVIEW)
Synergy Aviation (SYNERGY)
Talos Aviation (?)

I also note that the GVP file does not increase in size (or seemingly update) when I SAVE my own modifications. What file is actually being updated when I do this, and where can I find it? I want to have a backup copy.

On a side note, I think that my old GVP file was corrupted in more ways than one. In addition to not being able to import new vcpmod/evpmod files, I have noticed that quite a few standard callsigns (that I was not hearing with the old file) have now started to work. Callsigns like IBERIA, EGYPTAIR, and CHINA EASTERN.
Christopher Low
Ny Bruger

Return to EditVoicepack Support