EVP not running after installation

The official support forum for EditVoicepack

EVP not running after installation

Postby Keybdflyer » Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm re-installing FSX on my new computer (Win10) and trying to get everything back to match my old installation, which includes the indispensable EVP. I paid my eight Euros, downloaded the file and installed the program - no problems. However, trying to run EVP achieves absolutely nothing, it simply doesn't run. I get the "busy" mouse pointer for a second... then nothing. I've been through the suggested "sfc /scannow" procedure (no problems), I've run the .exe as Administrator and performed a complete uninstall/re-install a couple of times but with the same result - EVP just doesn't start-up. Any suggestions (or a definite fix would be nice) would be gratefully accepted.

Further to the above, my old computer is still working fine, so would it be possible to simply copy my modified .gvp file to my current FSX installation and hopefully at least have the amendments I made with the other EVP? If so, is it just the USEnglishBig.gvp that I would need to copy over, or is anything else affected when make changes via EVP?

Fingers crossed for a resolution, thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions. :)
Keybdflyer
Ny Bruger

Re: EVP not running after installation

Postby Lars » Fri May 26, 2017 11:17 am

Hmm, annoying - without an error message it can be tricky to troubleshoot as it typically means the EditVoicepack code I wrote is not even executing.

Please try opening a commend prompt and go to the EditVoicepack installation folder by typing
Code: Select all
CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bevelstone Production\EditVoicepack XL"

(the location might be a bit different if you run a non-English version of Windows or if you chose to install EditVoicepack in a different folder),

Then try starting EditVoicepack by typing
Code: Select all
EditVoicepack.exe

into the same command prompt.

I do not expect EditVoicepack to start up successfully, but I have (yes, somewhat naive) hope that this will at least output an error message in the command window.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Keybdflyer » Fri May 26, 2017 11:55 am

Sorry, but your hopes weren't realised :cry:

Running EVP from the command prompt gave exactly the same result, i.e. a brief "busy" mouse pointer icon (no more than a second) and then nothing at all - not even an error message of some kind. From your point of view it must be incredibly frustrating, from mine it's more than annoying, lol. I wish I could provide some information for you, but there's nothing to give you. Windows 10 has been a royal pain ever since getting this computer - half of my stuff won't run any more! Anyway, if you can think of more things I could try, I'd be very grateful. Do you think it'd be worth me trying one of the older versions? Just to see if it runs?
Keybdflyer
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Fri May 26, 2017 5:21 pm

Yes, somewhat annoying :)

Does any error show up in the Event Viewer when you try to run EditVoicepack? Specifically the sections Windows Logs/Application and Windows Logs/System (though please look other places as well, it is hard to keep track of that thing).

I'll send a PM with a link where you can download a logging tool - again, not too much hope as it can only create a log for cod that is actually running, but maybe it will give a hint.

You will also be able to upload the generated file to the same location.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Keybdflyer » Fri May 26, 2017 8:34 pm

Ok. Error messages are in Windows Logs\Application:
at 07:46:26
Application: EditVoicepack.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFF0912FD0C

then at 07:46:27
Faulting application name: EditVoicepack.exe, version: 5.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x569b7326
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x631de416
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000fd0c
Faulting process id: 0x1aec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2d615b44e38c0
Faulting application path: c:\Program Files (x86)\Bevelstone Production\EditVoicepack XL\EditVoicepack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report Id: 327a6f45-d4a1-4197-81e5-13d4181c1af9
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID

07:46:43
Application: EditVoicepack.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FFF0912FD0C

07:46:43
Faulting application name: EditVoicepack.exe, version: 5.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x569b7326
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x631de416
Faulting process id: 0x3b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2d615be9d8ae4
Faulting application path: c:\Program Files (x86)\Bevelstone Production\EditVoicepack XL\EditVoicepack.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll
Report Id: ba865fb6-657c-42e7-947e-60863d9b6da0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

all of which means absolutely nothing to me :lol: The only things I recognise out of all that is d3d9.dll and that .net framework popped its head in. Is EVP .net framework version dependent? Anyway, I hope that helps a little, or points you in the right direction. Fun, this, isn't it? :roll:

There doesn't appear to be anything else related to EVP in any of the other logs. FYI: I installed EVP X40 just to see what happened, and at runtime I [b]did[b] get an error box saying that EVP had stopped working. Windows Logs\Application reports:

Faulting application name: EditVoicepack.exe, version: 4.0.7.0, time stamp: 0x4aa3c7c1
Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 6.2.15063.0, time stamp: 0x631de416
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15

though I don't suppose that's relevant to anything at all, seeing that it's not a current version.

Baie dankie meneer (sorry, that's Afrikaans, but it's close! :) I lived in South Africa for a while, a long time ago.)
Keybdflyer
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sat May 27, 2017 5:49 am

EditVoicepack is compiled against .NET Framework 4.5.1, but runs on newer versions as well.

d3D9.dll is - as I am sure you know - the DirectX 9 library.

First, please check if you have the latest drivers for the graphics card. Second, if you run MSI Afterburner, please try closing it before running EditVoicepack.
Lars
FSOnline

Postby Keybdflyer » Sat May 27, 2017 8:27 am

Well, my friend, closing MSI Afterburner seems to have done the trick! :D I have it loading at startup but I can change that, I only use it to monitor the CPU & GPU temps and to regulate the fan in the couple of graphics-intensive games I have. Not a problem to load it as needed instead of having it there all of the time. What put you onto it as a possible source of conflict?

I do have one further question for you, if that's ok? On my other system, I went to a lot of trouble to add many of the missing aircraft & manufacturers names etc. Is there any way to get those back? i.e. retrieve them from the other computer. I tried just copying-over the USEnglishBig.gvp file, but that didn't work as the modifications I made still didn't show. Is there some other file(s) that I need to copy? I don't have a problem re-doing them, at my age all I have is time! :) It'd be nice to save some of it though, time I mean, I probably don't have too much of it left! :lol:

Thank you tremendously for your time & effort, EVP is the single piece of additional FSX software I cannot do without, so to get it back is more than wonderful. You're a star, sir!
Keybdflyer
Ny Bruger

Postby Lars » Sat May 27, 2017 8:52 am

I googled
d3d9.dll 0xc0000005
and started reading random links - on a link on the first page someone had a similar problem with some video rendering software (Vagas Pro) and the solution was posted there. Pure luck.

I am sure Microsoft or MSI will get it fixed sooner or later... :)

If you copy the file:
"C:\ProgramData\EditVoicepackX\EditVoicepackData.xml.gzip"
from your old computer you will get all your modifications back.
Lars
FSOnline

Return to EditVoicepack Support